Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Five Tips to Become a Intermediate Programmer

There are three types of programmers: the beginners, the intermediate programmers, and the experienced programmers. The beginners are the programmers who are still learning their first languages. The beginners are usually proud of what they make. The intermediate programmers are the ones who are pretty experienced in their first language and who are usually never happy with what they make. The experienced programmers are the ones who created the best applications and the top rated applications and websites. A couple of them include Microsoft Office, Angry Birds, Facebook and many more.

There are big differences between the beginners and the intermediates. Currently, I think of myself as intermediate programmer and hope to become an experienced programmer. It takes time to become an intermediate programmer, but if you follow these five tips and keep improving you can become one.

The Five Tips 

1. Learn Another Language

The more languages you know the better. I recommend learning a language that is significantly different the language you know. The first language I learned was Java so I decided to teach myself HTML. HTML is the language that most websites are created in.  if you know to program in C or Java, I recommend Groovy or Ruby which are really different languages. 

When I mean learn a different language, I mean really learn the language. Learning a language consists of three realms of language: the syntax, the built-in operators and libraries, and "how to use it". The first two are easy; the syntax takes a couple of hours and the built-in operators takes time to pick up. The "how to use it" part is the difficult part it; it takes months to really use the language. I suggest doing a language that is suited for the language and doing it in the languages style. 

2. Learn Advanced Search Techniques, Strategies and Tactics 

"Techniques", "Strategies" and "Tactics" all seem similar but they are not. Google is your best friend, it helps teaching the syntax of the language. Whenever you make an error, you should just look at the error code. Usually their will be a red line or hint to show where the errors are. 

3. Help Others 

It is always good to help other people. It just does not help the other person but it also improves your skill. 

4. Keep Practicing 

Like many things, it takes time to improve. If you keep practicing, you will eventually be a good programmer. 

5. Do Your Thing

Don't follow any expert. One of the big mistakes I made was following big programmers. You have to do things your own way. You have to have your own way of programming. I personally enjoy programming when I am really tired. 

If you follow these tips, you should become an experienced programmer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment